Everyone should know about this little gem! This is an amazing tool for any teacher or student.
Google Apps is a service from Google providing independently customisable versions of several Google products. It is a form of web-based file storage and is also known as ‘software as a service’. It features several Web applications including Gmail, Google Groups, Google Calendar, Talk, Drive, Play, Docs, News, Wallet and Sites.
Google Apps is available in three ways:
- personal (includes advertisements)
- business (pay annual fee)
- education (free with no advertisements)
Google Apps for Education is free and offers the same amount of storage as Google Apps for Business accounts.
Why is Google Apps so innovative for education:
- Communication – it allows for simple communication between users in many different ways (gmail, google talk, video chat, google forms).
- Productivity – it has tools for producing written work in many different ways (google docs, spreadsheets, presentations).
- ICT skills – google apps allows users to create and develop web pages using google sites.
- Collaboration – one of my personal favourites with Google Apps is that it allows users to work together on an assignment. Others can contribute or view your work depending on the access you grant them.
- Storage – all your google apps files are stored centrally. Not only is the finished document saved but it also saves a record of different versions of the document! Yes, you read correctly!! You will never loose another piece of work ever again!! This also means, no more excuses about memory sticks breaking or laptops dying mid (unsaved)essay.
Owner – has full control over the document.
Collaborator – can edit the document and can also remove or add more people to the sharing of the document.
Viewer – cannot edit or add and remove people, they can only view the document.
Private – only people granted permission can access the document. Sign-in is also required.
Link – anyone with the link/url to the document can access it without a password.
Public – this is available for public viewing on the web, domain, link or password required.
The potential this has for students inside and outside of school is immense.